Wednesday, April 22, 2009

My Carbon Footprint

Carbon footprint is the total greenhouse gas emissions caused by individuals, organizations, event or products. An individual, nation or organization is footprint is measured by taking an emissions test. After undertaking the test and achieving a score; a strategy can be used to reduce the carbon footprint.

I measured my carbon footprint at http://footprint.wwf.org.uk/ and it was 3.09 planets.

I see my carbon footprint as average, because some of my classmates had very high carbon footprints and some had very low carbon footprints. The UAE has the highest carbon footprint per capita therefore I believe I scored very well according to the rest of the population.

We can reduce our carbon footprint in many different ways. When it comes to lighting for example we can use solar energy light bulbs; that way we would not have to rely on any electricity which will reduce our carbon footprint greatly. Another way to reduce lighting is to use light bulbs which work with automatic sensors; those light bulbs reduce the light gradually according to what time of the day it is. We can also reduce our carbon footprint by regularly monitoring the gas emissions which are produced by our cars; another way to reduce our carbon footprint is to use cars which are more pollution-friendly. Most car manufactures today aim to produce cars which don’t emit many gasses, therefore we should aim to purchase those vehicles instead of getting ones which are not as pollution-friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment